The Ahangama area is home to the most consistent, and possibly the best, surf in Sri Lanka. The surf season on the South Coast of Sri Lanka is October to May, but you typically get waves all year round.
Tea Tree has two reef breaks right out the front. This is pretty rare for villas in Sri Lanka.
Only a short tuk-tuk ride away are some of the best beach and reef breaks on the South Coast. Check out the local breaks on the right, most of which are a few minutes from Tea Tree.
“The region of Ahangama to Mirissa is 9 miles long and could be called Sri Lanka’s tribute to Hawaii’s North Shore 7-mile miracle. There are a handful of fun surf spots from lefts and rights to beachies and A-frames. Amongst these breaks you’ll find spots that cater to the beginner and others that serve up waves to satisfy an intermediate and even advanced surfer.” – Surf Dubai
Surf spots close to Tea Tree Villa:
- 1.1 km to Kabalana Beach which includes “The Rock”, one of the best spots on the South Coast especially when the swell is big. It’s an A-frame peak that has a long left and sometimes a barrelling right. Also a great beach break and perfect spot for kids or beginners to learn.
- 4.2 km to Midigama which includes arguably some of Sri Lanka’s best breaks including Ram’s Point, Lazy Lefts, Plantation, Coconuts and Pirates/Secrets.
- 8.8 km to Weligama Bay which is the ideal place for beginners and kids with gentle rollers on a sand bottom. There are plenty of surf schools here where you can get a lesson or hire a board.
- 14 km to Mirissa Bay that includes a reef point break off the headland, an A-frame in the middle of the bay and a left off Temple Island.
- 55 km to Hikkaduwa Beach the bustling fishing and tourist spot which is great for an all-day mission. Hikkaduwa offers a variety of waves for all abilities.